Last night was a busy night for TV, literally.
The 65th annual Emmy Awards aired yesterday evening. The award show celebrates all that is great in the world of TV. As a TV nut myself, I do sincerely enjoy the Emmy's, however; the Bears were playing and while I love television shows and NPH, I simply prefer watching Marc Trestman (aka. Willy Wonka) and Da Bears.
I will note, the Emmys did create an impetus for me to think about some of my favorite TV programs and their relationship to my current favorites (i.e. "Breaking Bad", "House of Cards", "Parks & Recs"). Edie Falco's tribute to the late James Gandolfini made me remember the greatness of "The Sopranos"; Ed Helms made me remember the hilarity of "The Office"; and Tony Hale, winner of Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series, made me remember "Arrested Development" and how he will always be Buster Bluth.
Yes, the Emmys jogged my memory and, as soon as the Bears' game had ended, it was time to tune into this week's episode of Breaking Bad, "Granite City".
Maybe it was the Emmys that provided this memory, but all I could think about at the end of "Granite City" was HBO's "The Wire". I recalled a brilliant scene where Marlo Stanfield, Cheese, Monk and Chris are all incarcerated in a Baltimore prison cell (S.5, Ep.9). Monk informs his fearless leader, Marlo, that Omar has been calling out Marlo, saying that Marlo needs to be out on the streets and needs to face Omar for killing Butchie.
"My name is on the street?", Marlo asks. Fearful that he has lost his grasp on the streets and the authority he commands on them, Marlo remarks, "Let them know Marlo will step to any mothaf*cka. Omar, Barksdale, whoever. My name is my name."
In an emphatic rage, Marlo expresses that his name and his reputation are everything. Without it, he feels worthless. Without his name, whether he is on the streets, in jail, or, even, dead; his name and reputation mean everything.
This scene, this monologue by Marlo Stanfield, was all I could think about after the end of "Breaking Bad" yesterday evening. Walter White, like Marlo, watched as his former colleagues belittle not only his contributions to Gray Matter Technologies, but his name.
Walter White aka. Heisenberg will return to Albuquerque to take care of his unfinished business in New Mexico in Breaking Bad's series finale. The motive behind his return? It must to be to fix his reputation and to regain his name.
"My name is my name."
It's a simple, yet entirely complex, phrase. The meaning is not blatantly evident, rather; it forces the reader (or listener) to assess what someones' "name" really represents.
For Walter White, his name represents his role as a father and member of the White family.
For Heisenberg, his name represents his role as the greatest drug kingpin, ever.
Whatever name Walt plans on restoring the reputation of is up to Vince Gilligan. The answer of which name he will work to restore lies in the pages of the script titled, "Felina". However, whatever name Walt plans on restoring, whatever reputation he plans on reestablishing; we know he will do it with force and with the cunning wit that only Walter White (or Heisenberg) can deliver.
I am unsure whether Walt will die or live in the series finale of "Breaking Bad".
I am unsure whether Walt aims to restore his name as Heisenberg, drug kingpin extraordinare.
I am unsure whether Walt is truly done with "Heisenberg" and, now, aims to restore his name as Walter White, the husband of Skyler and father of Walter Jr. and Holly.
"My name is my name."
I do know this much- our lovable chemistry teacher turned drug lord will most certainly not be ending his tenure on "Breaking Bad" as Walter Lambert. No, instead Walt knows this pseudonym will not suffice. He knows what his name means or, at least, what it used to mean.
His name is his reputation.
His name is his legacy.
His name is his name.
No comments:
Post a Comment